Friday, December 18, 2009

Author(ity)


I know how to read. Have for a while now actually. Sometimes I read bad stories I don't like very much, but generally I just read the good stories that are awesome. I have strong feelings about this actually. I think it is silly to read and to like terrible awful boring stupid stories.

As far as the good stories go, during the read you don't always know what is going to happen. You may have some good ideas for how everything might work out, but when the book is finished you find something even better has happened - something you didn't see coming and didn't think was possible because it is so sweetatstic. Now, if the story were to suddenly end at many points in the middle, it would not be a very good story. Some individual snapshots are confusing, but the author includes those parts because they are necessary to make the whole story end well.

I like to think of God as an author. God writes the stories of our lives. He writes complicated stories that don't always make sense in the middle. He's such a good author that you often don't even expect the beautiful twists, underdog victorious, and seemingly impossible redemptions. Another thing about God is that He sees His stories through to the end. Now, if the characters go and insist on changing the plot, refuse to continue when things become hard and require great risk, and take the easy way out when life is confusing, well, beauty is lost. I think characters should let the author do the writing. They shouldn't get scared by seemingly impossible obstacles, difficult and uncomfortable situations, or things that blow up (my favorite stories have fire and explosions). The Author has it under control - He already knows how wonderful it is going to end. These challenging and messy elements are there to make for a better story. That's why we need to trust the Author. He's the best that's ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment