Friday, December 3, 2010

Bar Church Poem


They said not to run, told me not to shout
They tried to tone me down, ordering me to cut it out
Just do it the same way, boring and safe is best
As if my life should be like, one and all the rest

But I'll do what I want, in fact I'll start church in a bar
Not for the religious, as frowny hypocrites are
Just a message to wanderers, searching for some light
Now you can come, for what you couldn't get last night

I lived for the world, but found it was a lie
Lived for myself, and the emptiness made me cry
Stuck in my own mess, only one thing left to try
Put my hope in Jesus, who for me was willing to die

What is it about this world that makes us give up our soul
We're longing after things just to be made whole
We're hungry now for something greater than our mess
Oh God won't you save me from this evil that I confess

That's what I wrote for my 5 year Harvard reunion that is coming up this spring. Everyone was asked to write a several paragraph update for the class book of their life since graduation. (Note: the last paragraph was added later).

No comments:

Post a Comment