Friday, July 20, 2012

Obedience or Knowledge?


What's more important: obedience or knowledge?

I think the emphasis on the Christian life tends to be on gaining knowledge. We're supposed to study our Bible every day, church services typically revolve around lengthy teaching sermons, traditional pastor training (i.e. seminaries) focus on study and memorizing, and supplemental church small groups often go through additional books also focused on learning knowledge. But how effective is that really? I've found personally that the truly significant lessons I've learned have actually been as a direct result of obeying God far more than reading a book or listening to a sermon, and in the cases when I'm not obeying God, then I especially struggle to get anything out of listening to sermons and reading my Bible. 

It's very interesting that Adam and Eve first sinned by valuing the pursuit of knowledge over obedience to God. I think that issue is a fundamental tendency and even pitfall of human nature. Jesus seemed to teach a lot more about obedience and action rather than needing to talk, discuss, study, and learn knowledge. Could it be that learning spiritual truths most easily happen as a result of obedience? Actually, I think it is impossible to keep someone from learning profound spiritual truths when they are obeying God. Now, unfortunately, I think when we do focus on obedience in church, we often either make the mistake of adopting a rigid and harmful legalistic approach, or, we get wrapped up in church agendas and try to get everyone to obey what God told the leader, rather than simply helping people listen to God and obey the things he leads them personally to do.

What if the point is not to fill each person up with knowledge, but to help them learn to hear God and obey him? What if obedience to God (rather than a legalistic obedience to man and religion) becomes the clear focus? Discussing the subsequent lessons and nuggets that came from that obedience should maybe even just be the bonus party and not even the focus itself?

No comments:

Post a Comment