I like to cook. This is largely due to the fact that I like to eat but have no one to cook for me. One day I had a great enlightenment. I discovered the greatest trick ever for making ANY food taste better. And it's not even adding lots of butter, salt, BACON, or sugar (though mmmboy that's good too). My cooking tip of brilliance that never fails is: "just wait longer". The longer you wait -->the hungrier you get --> the better the food will taste. My theory is that that is why some cultures (where folks are particularly snobbish about their vittles) generally don't have dinner until very late at night! At that point everyone is so hungry that ANYTHING tastes good. They call it authentic local cuisine. I'm onto you, you uppity connoisseurs and foreign food gastronomes!
Good.
This food truth is also a spiritual truth. The hungrier you are, the more you will be satisfied. On the other hand, the more [spiritual] junk and garbage you eat, the less satisfied you will be in God. That is why sin, idols (immediate and easy substitutes for God), and flesh gratifying habits will directly hinder your relationship with God. It doesn't matter how perfect and wonderful a meal is, if you stuff yourself with junk right beforehand, your dining experience will not be satisfying. Conversely, if you go into a meal starving, then you will be very satisfied. Truth:
-"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied" (Matt 5.6)
-"I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst" (John 6.35).
Get hungry for God. Stay hungry. Hold out for the good stuff.
Get hungry for God. Stay hungry. Hold out for the good stuff.
Nicely put!! They need to install a 'like' button on our blogs like on Facebook. LOL
ReplyDeletelike [thumbs up]
ReplyDeletei guess that's what fasting is all about, huh? hold out on the easily accessible, feast on the divine.